Monday, December 16, 2013

Dun Dun Dun...Another One Bites The Dust...

Take it away, Freddie....

Well, the cannon has sounded on Peeta/Winston.  Quite possibly in the most anticlimactic way possible, might I add.

We'd only seen each other a few times the week after our initial first date, but both of us were pretty busy.  Last weekend he had asked if I wanted to hang out. This usually isn't an issue, but it was around 10:30 at night and I was planning on hitting the hay. I thought to myself, "Self, you should just give this guy a chance. What's the worst that can happen?" so I invited him over, and we just sat on my couch and hung out.  Until 5:30am. Holy mother of God.  Now, nothing funny business happened - just sitting and talking about everything under the sun.  I thought it was cool.

Now, I mentioned my hesitancy in the very beginning with Winston on whether this was an actual "I want to date you" thing or a "Let's just catch up as friends" thing. In the last few days, it was becoming kind of clear that it was indeed the latter.  HOWEVER, the texts he was sending weren't matching up with the body language he was providing.  He would mention how he was looking forward to seeing me, how he loved my lips and couldn't wait for our first kiss, and how moving slow would make it totally worth it.

Ahem.

So cut to this past weekend. I had my company's Christmas party on Friday (free booze plus swanky haunted hotel?  Looks like ghosts don't bother young ladies who get white-girl-wasted on gin), and Saturday he came over to chit chat, and start watching Dexter.  Again - he came over at like ELEVEN FUCKING O'CLOCK.  (A quick sidebar: an indicator on how willing I am to give a guy a chance is always how late I'm willing to stay up to see him.  I'm usually in bed by 9:30 most nights, so pretty much anything after 10pm and you should feel like the Queen of fucking England that I'm still conscious). Again, we sat and chatted, and watched an episode. It felt very "friend-zone-ish" so I just sort of played it out. A few hours later he left, once more with the friendly hug and nothing more.  At that point I had pretty resigned to the fate of "just friends", to which I like to tell people:

I have plenty of friends, thanks. 

The next day I had asked him some funny quip about him not wanting to "make the first move", and herein lied the endgame. He gave me some hippy dippy "I don't know, we may not go that route" text and followed up with "I really enjoy your company and our conversations though", to which I immediately thought, 



I've told friends and family that my mentality on dating these days is this: "I'm not in the business of convincing anyone to like me or want to be with me. Either you do or you don't." And I'm sticking to it.  There ain't nothing I can't walk away from, even that ridiculously good Pistachio Pistachio ice cream. 

And now that Winston is out of the running, it's looking like clear and sunny skies. I can also divulge some of the funnier facts about him that I was saving up: 

-First of all: he's got a few tattoos.  Badass? Potentially, if one wasn't a portrait of Sandra Bullock's face.  I'm dead serious.  The others include his dad's initials and birthday, which is sweet and familial BUT WAIT THERE'S MORE: his dad's initials are flanked on either side by Arnold Schwarzenegger and Sylvester Stallone's initials and birthdays.  

I literally could not stop laughing after I saw those for several minutes. I may have a tramp stamp, but it's not some actor's initials. Or face. 

Although...tattooing a celebrity's face on your body means never having to go through this...

 -Secondly: he's slept with his current roommate, which kinda bugs me. It's not that I would think anything would happen between them, but it's the fact in general.  I know we don't live in the dark ages anymore and shit happens, and people get over it, but in my world, I get to say whether or not I'm comfortable with it or not. That being said, I probably wouldn't live with anyone I've slept with. 

-And lastly: in all actuality, I think he's just as socially awkward as he was ten years ago when we worked together. Does he have his shit together? Absolutely, and good for him for doing that!  But still kind of awkward.  Conversations didn't flow as easily and one would hope, and let's face it - if I wanted to make a move, I wouldn't have thought twice about it.  Sorry I'm not sorry. 

So that's that.  There concludes The New Girl Dating Heat, as Nick and Schmidt have long dropped off the planet. 

In other news, in the past few weeks I've dreamed of not one, but TWO of my exes.  I'm not generally one to dream about old flames, but this one a few nights ago was....pleasant?  I didn't dream that we were back together, but I dreamed that we were actually friends and could get along.  It's a nice gesture of my subconscious.  Whether reality will prove the same result - the jury's out on that. 

Anyways, enjoy your cold Monday morning!! 


1 comment:

  1. Sandra Bullok? OMG! On to bigger and better for Jane. :-)

    ReplyDelete